June 21 2022 – That's Amore Cheese
- 500g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 50g plain flour
- 700ml milk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2-3 That's Amore Cheese Smoked Bocconcini, torn into quarters
- 2-3 That’s Amore Cheese Buffalo Bocconcini, torn into quarters
- 50g That’s Amore Cheese Ricotta Delicata
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 250g ham off the bone, cut into 1.5cm cubes, or pre-sliced ham, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs (made with leftover break or store-bought)
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely grated
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the topping, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toss them frequently in the pan until they are a light golden colour, 5-10 mins. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then add garlic, parsley and lemon zest and mix through the crumb. Season with salt and pepper and put aside.
Melt butter in a large saucepan and add onion. Cook over medium heat and sweat, stirring regularly for 6-8 mins until the onions soften. With a wooden spoon, stir in flour to make a roux. Continue to stir for 1-2 mins to cook out raw flour taste. Little by little, whisk in milk. Keep whisking until there are no lumps and bring to gentle boil until it thickens. Take off heat and mix in cheeses, mustard, spices and salt and pepper.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain well.
Fold pasta into sauce, coating well, then fold in ham.
Portion mac n cheese and then sprinkle over with topping.